Images can explain thousands of words with one picture. To make something more clear, images becomes the one of the essential elements in making websites and blogs. Carrying thousands of words within a picture, it also consumes million words file size.
That means, an image can dramatically increase web page size affecting page load speed. Therefore, we need to optimize the image to make the site load faster and make the site optimize for SEO.
There are multiple ways to optimize image for SEO, one of them is lazy loading. But, an uncompressed lazy loaded image still consumes resources in the server and requires more data to load in viewers screen. Therefore, the best solution is image compression.
Understanding the need of image compression in the world of internet we have prepared a list of plugins and websites for image compression. These tools performs at their best level without affecting the quality.
Top 10 Best Image Compression Plugins
The following plugins can be used for free and there is always an option to add extra features by purchasing premium plan. We have not included exclusively paid/ premium plugins in this list.
Imagify by WP Rocket (Freemium)
Imagify can optimize all images: jpgs, pngs, pdfs and animated and non-animated gifs.
Do you have lots of unoptimized images? In imagify, there is a bulk optimization feature to optimize all your existing images in one click.
There are three optimization levels available in imagify.
- Normal, a lossless compression algorithm. The image quality won’t be altered at all.
- Aggressive, a lossy compression algorithm. Stronger compression with a tiny loss of quality most of the time this is not even noticeable at all.
- Ultra, this is the strongest compression method using a lossy algorithm. It unbelievably reduces the size of image by lowering the quality of image to a acceptable level.
You can optimize for free 20MB of images (about 200 images) every month. To increase the limit, you have to buy paid subscription according to the need. There is no limitations to convert image into WebP for free.
If you dont want to check how its compression works, you can go to https://imagify.io/optimizer for testing image compression.
reSmush.it is a completely free image compression plugin. It uses reSmush.it API. The API accept JPG, PNG and GIF files up to 5MB. For already uploaded images, it also has bulk optimization feature.
Till the date of writing it, reSmush has already optimized more than 15 billion images.
- Optimize on Upload – this feature is enabled for all new pictures to be added, and can be disabled on will.
- Cornjobs – for big (and even for small) media Libraries, you can optimize your pictures using Cronjobs.
- Optimization Level – By default the optimization level is set at 92. But you can optimize more your pictures by reducing this optimization level.
- Revert to Original (Backup) – Yes, by excluding/reverting this asset you’ll have your original image available.
- Exclusion Rule – Yes, since version 0.1.2, you can easily exclude an asset from the optimizer.
Smush – Lazy Load Images, Optimize & Compress Images (Freemium)
Smush is again a freemium image compression plugin. It provides some basic features for free.
This plugin uses similar techniques of reSmush.it API to compress images. Therefore, the maximum image supported by it is also capped to 5MB per image. It utilizes different compression levels of the API to compress image in different size and quality. Smush also have a paid plan for additional features such as CDN for images, restoration of image to original quality, etc
But it provides compression and lazy loading feature for free. However, conversion to WebP is not possible from free subscription. You must buy the pro addon in order to convert images to WebP format.
- Lossless Compression – Strip unused data and compress images without affecting image quality.
- Lazy Load – Defer offscreen images with the flip of a switch.
- Bulk Smush – Optimize & compress up to 50 images with one click.
- Image Resizing – Set a max width and height and large images will scale down as they are being compressed.
- Incorrect Size Image Detection – Quickly locate images that are slowing down your site.
- Directory Smush – Optimize images even if they are not located in the media library.
- Automated Optimization – Asynchronously auto-smush your attachments for super fast compression on upload.
ShortPixel Image Optimizer (Freemium)
ShortPixel is again a freemium image compression plugin. It provides 3 compression options lossy, glossy and lossless. It has feature to preserve or delete EXIF data, backup original images, limit the resolution to a maximum set level, etc.
This plugin also optimize images for retina device. And also optimize pdf files. Similar to other, it also provides exclusion feature. However, conversion of images to WebP requires their paid subscription.
Compress JPEG & PNG by TinyPNG (freemium)
TinyPNG is also a popular online compression tool. The same has made an plugin for WordPress too.
It automatically optimize new images on upload. Optimizes individual images already in your media library. There is no file size limits like other plugins have. It has feature to preserve or delete metadata from images.
To enable its compression features, you must login to tinypng account and enter the api key. With that api key, you can compress 500 images a month. And of course, there is paid plan to increase that limit.
EWWW Image Optimizer (freemium)
It is also a free image optimizer plugin for WordPress. There is no size limitations in this plugin. With Easy IO, images are automatically compressed, scaled to fit the page and device size, lazy loaded, and converted to the next-gen WebP format.
If you want simple, get automatic WebP conversion with Easy IO, and be done with it! Otherwise, you can generate WebP versions of your images with the Bulk Optimizer, and deliver them to supported browsers.
These were the best image compression plugins I have used in my different websites. You can pick any one of them. But, if you have a small website, I recommend you to use Imagify by WP Rocket.